Written by Written by “Biaza”
Below article is ENTRY #03 for the “First Pozorrubio Essay/Expository Writing Contest 2010” jointly sponsored by SPA Batch 64 Alumni (http://spa64.quesadatech.com) and Quesada eTechnologies (http://www.quesadatech.com). Winners will be announced during the Awarding Ceremony on January 14, 2010, Pozorrubio Municipal Building.
Sometime in 1580, in the western coast of Northern Luzon, Philippines, the province of Pangasinan was created. In it a distinct town named Claris went on its daily quiet existence: folks planted, fished, and made salt and bagoong, children played, and early Chinese traders came and went. The Spaniards who came to see and to conquer fancied the red bricks that made up the town’s well and soon were calling it the place of the red well or pozo rubio in their native tongue. Henceforth Claris came to be known as Pozorrubio. The story about the name’s origin though beloved is half a myth. The awaran or
historical accounts claim that the town’s original name Claris was derived from Juan de la Cruz Palaris who led the revolution against Spain in 1762, to eventually proclaim himself king of Pangasinan. In 1868 then noveau parish priest Reverend Father Asencio helped the people in petitioning for the independence of the town from San Jacinto to which it was originally included. The petition granted, Claris emerged as a new town, its new boundaries encompassing 8,965 hectares, and renamed Pozorrubio. The name Pozorrubio was coined from Pozor, some place in Spain where then incumbent Governor General de la Torre was also a count, and rubio after the red bricks so popular at the time. Then came forth decades of social, economic, political, and material emergence.
And what is Pozorrubio now? A first class town with 34 barangays boasting of beautiful